Your complete IR35 management solution
IR35 Shield combines a freely accessible artificial intelligence (AI) powered IR35 compliance assessment with unique access to a range of IR35 experts. It offers protection, whether you’re an agency, service provider, hirer or contractor.
What makes our solution the most accurate IR35 assessment available?
- Developed with 20 years' practical experience of IR35
- Built by industry-leading experts who have consulted with the Treasury on IR35
- Used by over 100,000 contractors since 2009
- Uses highly complex weight-based algorithms fine-tuned over many years analysis of IR35 cases
- Our AI engine underpins the tool’s accuracy allowing for consistency and eliminating bias
- Big data enables users to accurately benchmark a contractor’s status against their sector
How the IR35 assessment works
Our assessment uses 101 questions to build a comprehensive understanding of the contractor’s relationship with their client.
The answers are analysed using a bespoke algorithm. This is regularly refined in line with the latest IR35 tribunal case outcomes. All algorithmic refinements are subsequently regression tested for robustness against our extensive database of tests conducted.
Our solution’s AI is designed to take the holistic approach a tribunal judge would when determining employment status. The AI also harnesses big data, enabling organisations to compare their contractor’s assessment statuses against the several thousand assessment statuses delivered by Shield to date.
All contractors who take the assessment can access a comprehensive and uniquely numbered Status Determination Statement detailing reasons for their assessment determination. Contractors who achieve a status of “IR35 does not apply” also receive a certificate and client-sign-off page, which can be used to demonstrate due diligence and strengthen any future IR35 defence.
Who is assessed as outside IR35?
Contrary to what HMRC would have you believe, the complexity of employment case law means it’s impossible to build an assessment that provides every single contractor a simple binary yes/no answer.
Nobody can definitively know the IR35 status of a contractor unless it is tested in court.
Whilst there are some factors that will indicate definite inside IR35 and definite outside IR35, most evaluations will fall somewhere within the spectrum between the two.
This is how our assessment works, and it provides the most accurate assessment available, allowing you to use it with confidence.
How the IR35 review process works
Seeking professional assistance can be of great benefit to a contractor who doesn’t achieve an outside IR35 status. Depending on the expert’s verdict, there are several potential outcomes:
- Contractor finds out the reasons for the IR35 applies determination
- Contractor can consider increasing their rate to mitigate the tax loss from IR35
- Contractor can decline the contract
IR35 Does Not Apply
- We can add supplementary information to their Statement, based on the expert’s input, to be included in the certificate
Eliminate all risk with IR35 Protect
Whether you’re a public sector agency or a private sector contractor, you can have access to a range of insurance options to provide further peace of mind for your company.
Use the IR35 Status Determination Statement to prove your status to our recommended providers to purchase tax investigation insurance or the more comprehensive tax liability insurance. This includes:
- A rigorous tax defence from any potential HMRC investigation
- Full cover against a negative judgment, including tax loss and penalties
- Absolute peace of mind for your business